Monday, June 9, 2008

Why the corn syrup?

I always encourage people (friends, family, patients, etc.) to read nutrition labels and ingredient lists. Much as Michael Pollan mentions in his books/lectures, I too am nervous when ingredients number more than a few or sound more like chemicals than food. There are also many compounds that we now know or suspect are harmful to human health. I brought an awareness of these points to the development of Dr. Dave's Mega-O truffles: my first goal was to maximize the omega-3 dose per serving, and secondly, I wanted to make the rest of the ingredients high-quality and healthy. The Dr. Dave's Mega-O Original line (using fish oil) has a very small amount of corn syrup on the inside to smooth out the texture of the truffle and keep it fresh longer. This is NOT, I stress, NOT high-fructose corn syrup, a potentially harmful compound. Rather, I use regular corn syrup and in small enough amounts to improve the taste and texture without contributing to any physiologically-relevant effects for most people. I hope this helps to answer some of the questions that have come up regarding this ingredient. And, as an aside: the Dr. Dave's Mega-O Vegetarian line does not use any corn syrup.

No comments: